What is the application process?
Most property owners working within or near wetlands will have to file 1 of 2 kinds of applications, a Request for Determination of Applicability (RDA) or a Notice of Intent (NOI). In general, you must file a permit application (which may require the professional services of a wetlands specialist and engineer); notify abutters; attend a public hearing(s); and resolve any concerns about protecting the wetlands during the review process. Then you receive a permit before starting the work.

Copies of state and town wetland regulations (e.g., 25- or 50-foot No Alteration Zone), filing guidelines and the Commission’s schedule of meetings are available on the Town’s main Conservation Commission webpage.

Show All Answers

1. What are Wetlands?
2. Are Buffer Zones around wetlands protected?
3. Why are wetlands important?
4. How can Billerica residents help?
5. How do I find out if wetlands exist on my property?
6. When do I need a permit?
7. What is the application process?
8. Can I cut down trees?
9. How do I close out my wetlands permit/apply for a Certificate of Compliance (COC)?
10. How can I find out if there are any wetlands-related setbacks or restrictions associated with the property?
11. Where can I find information about Billerica’s open space, conservation and recreation lands in Billerica?