When do I need a permit?
In general, construction, earth disturbing activities, drainage altering activities and removal of vegetation (cutting trees or shrubs) will require a wetlands permit when proposed within the 100-year floodplain, 200-feet of a perennial (year round) river or stream, and/or within 100-feet of any other wetland.

Regulated activities include:

  • Constructing new or expanding existing structures (additions, etc.)

  • Grading, excavating, filling (paving)

  • Certain landscaping, reconstructing lawns, cutting or clearing vegetation

  • Changing stormwater discharge

  • Installing or replacing a septic system

  • or any other activity that might alter wetlands or their buffer zones

Property owners and developers are encouraged to contact the Conservation Department at (978) 671-0966 during the early planning stages of a project. We are ready to answer your questions and help guide you through the potential next steps.

Do not assume your contractor will pull all the necessary permits. Landowners are responsible for any work and activity that occurs on his/her property. Before you hire a tree company, landscaper, or a contractor call the Conservation Department to determine if you need a permit.

Show All Answers

1. What are Wetlands?
2. Are Buffer Zones around wetlands protected?
3. Why are wetlands important?
4. How can Billerica residents help?
5. How do I find out if wetlands exist on my property?
6. When do I need a permit?
7. What is the application process?
8. Can I cut down trees?
9. How do I close out my wetlands permit/apply for a Certificate of Compliance (COC)?
10. How can I find out if there are any wetlands-related setbacks or restrictions associated with the property?
11. Where can I find information about Billerica’s open space, conservation and recreation lands in Billerica?