The Billerica Recreation Department has begun to prepare the various town park areas for winter.
• Athletic Fields are closed to minimize damage. They will re-open in the spring based on the weather conditions. All port-a-potty’s will be removed from the parks and fields.
• Playgrounds should not be used when the ground is frozen.
• Peggy Hannon-Rizza Recreation Complex: All water in the park has been shut off including the water fountain. The tennis court nets will be removed until the spring. The lights on the basketball courts will no longer turn on at dusk.
• The gate at the Manning Park will be locked for the winter and the book display on the Story Book Trail will be removed.
• Parking Lots at various parks and recreation areas generally will not be plowed when covered with snow.
• Those individuals who enjoy ice fishing should be aware of the thickness of the ice on the various ponds and lakes before venturing on them. For information on ice safety, please visit the Ice Thickness and Safety Information page found on the Mass.gov website for Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs. The annual MacGyver “Ed” Peary Ice Fishing Derby (formerly the Wackmaster) will be offered again on Nuttings Lake on February 8th, weather and ice permitting. This will be an opportunity for new ice anglers to try the sport.