Tapping Permit & Fees

Tapping Permits
The following information is required for a Permit for Water Service (Tapping Permit):
  • Property owner's name, address, and telephone number
  • Installer's name, address, and telephone number
  • Address of the property (including building number) which will be supplied with water
  • Assessor's plate (map) and parcel number (this can be found on your tax bill)
  • Size of the line you plan to install
Tapping Fees
Tapping fees must be received with the Tapping Permit at the Water Division Office located at 270 Treble Cove Road. Fees must be paid by check made out to the Town of Billerica. 

Tap Size Fee
3/4 inch - 1 inch $175
2 inch $300
4 inch $400
6 inch $600
8 inch $800
10 inch $1,000
12 inch $1,200
16 inch $1,600

Only 3/4 inch or 1 inch service lines are permitted for use with residential units. Water meters on these lines are typically one size smaller than the size of the service line.
  • The use of plastic lines is prohibited.
  • Soldering before the meter is prohibited.
  • If a structure is demolished but the existing service line is to be reused, a tapping permit must be completed.
Please note the following allowable material and size for water service pipes:
  • Copper: 3/4 inch, 1 inch, 1.5 inch, 2 inch
  • Ductile Iron: 4 inch, 6 inch, 8 inch, 10 inch, 12 inch, 16 inch