Commission on Disabilities
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 8:30am - 4:00pm
365 Boston Rd.
Billerica, Ma 01821
Important Phone Numbers:
SENIOR CENTER: 978-671-0916
Our Mission: To bring about full and equal participation of people with disabilities in all aspects of life.
Who Are We?
- An advisory group of Billerica residents deeply concerned about disability issues
What Have We Done?
- Developed administrative building blocks: annual budget and annual report.
- Identified access problems in existing public facilities and worked with the Town to correct them.
- Established liaisons with town services such as the library.
- Have a partnership with the Library (www.billericalibrary.org) Town Departments and Officials to make Billerica a better and safer place for all.
- Helped with sidewalk improvements.
- Continue to educate the public about Handicap Parking.
- Donating equipment needed to the Library for their Outreach program, as well as their in-house needs.
- Have equipment such as lightweight wheel chairs, walkers and a Beach wheel chair, that can be used on a temporary basis.
Who benefits by handicap access improvements?
- People using mobility devices: scooters, walkers, canes.
- Senior Citizens.
- New parents: Carriages.
- Children: lower phones, water fountains.
- People with Temporary physical disabilities.
- Delivery personnel: vendors, movers.
What are our strengths?
- Many years of relevant experience, personal or professional, in dealing with disabilities.
- Diverse representation from public and private sectors, the student, working, and retired public we serve.
- Access to resources via multiple networks to help solve disability issues.
What are our goals?
- Enhance mobility, employment and educational opportunities for disabled people.
- Monitor Billerica’s compliance with laws, including, but not limited, to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Help disabled people lead productive lives and become productive citizens.
- Provide disability information and advocacy.
- Conduct/review ADA surveys and seminars.
- Sponsor awareness programs for children, senior citizens, business owners, professionals and the general public.
When do we meet?
- Open meeting monthly at 10:30am every third Tuesday.
How can you help?
- Volunteers are welcome and needed to carry out the goals of the commission. Please call.
In partnership with the Billerica Public Library