Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Most Recent Agenda | View All Agendas and Minutes
Conservation Commissions are established under the provisions of the Massachusetts Conservation Commission Act (Massachusetts G.L. Chapter 40, Section 8C) for the “promotion and development of the natural resources and for the protection of watershed resources” of the town. The commission consists of 7 members appointed by the Board of Selectmen for terms of 3 years each.
Duties & Responsibilities
The range of duties and responsibilities is wide; however, the major areas of responsibility are as follows:
- Administer and enforce the Massachusetts Wetlands Protection Act (M.G.L. Ch.131, Sec. 40) and its applicable regulations (310 C.M.R. 10.00) as well as the Billerica Wetlands Protection Bylaw (Article XXII of the General Bylaws) and its regulations.
- Work with the Recreation Commission to develop and maintain an Open Space and Recreation Plan for the town.
- Develop projects and programs to carry out the applicable goals of the Open Space and Recreation Plan, including preserving land by acquisition, protecting open space through conservation restrictions, publishing educational and informational materials (books, pamphlets, maps, and plans), and implementing programs for the improvement and protection of the natural resources.
- Manage the land under the control of the Conservation Commission.
- Advise and work with other town boards, committees, and organizations on matters involving the natural resources and watershed resources.