Senior and Veteran's Property Tax Work-Off Program
The Town of Billerica offers seniors the opportunity to apply for the Senior Property Tax Work-Off Program to receive a $1,000 property tax relief benefit by helping municipal departments and schools. The benefit is applied to property taxes when the hours are completed. Seniors have the opportunity to volunteer 75 hours to get a $1,000 property tax relief benefit. Married couples may work together to complete 75 hours. The program runs from August 1, 2020 through February 28, 2021.
The Town of Billerica also offers honorably discharged Veterans who own and reside in a Billerica property, or their proxies, to earn the same tax credit as those in the Senior Property Tax Work-Off program. Qualifications and benefits mirror those in the Senior Property Tax Work-Off program.
Applications for both programs will be available at the Billerica Council on Aging at 25 Concord Rd starting June 2, 2020 through August 1, 2020. Applications can be picked up from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Monday through Friday. Please see specific directions below re pickup and drop-off.
Please note that due to Covid-19 restrictions, patrons are not allowed to enter the building to pick up or drop off their application materials and are to follow the instructions below.
For Application Materials:
The application materials will be available for pick-up Monday through Friday from 6/2/20 – 8/1/20 from 9:00am to 4:00pm outside the COA Front entrance in a box marked ‘Tax Work-Off Program’. Please take your application materials home for completion
For Completed Applications:
Please put your completed application materials in a business size envelope labelled with your name. You can drop the completed forms at the COA Rear entrance in a Lock Box labeled ‘Tax Work-Off Program’ to the left of the rear entrance door of the COA.
The qualifications for participation in the Senior Property Tax Work-Off Program will remain the same as last year. Asset valuation is one of the determining factors to participate. The Town Assessor’s office makes the determination for asset eligibility. Assets include:
- Checking Account(s)
- Savings Account(s)
- Mutual Fund(s)
- All Registered Motor Vehicles
- Any other Real Estate owned other than current residence.
The Guidelines of The Tax Work-Off Programs Are As Follows:
- Senior participants must be Billerica homeowners, age 60 or older, living in their home, with their name on the deed and no plans to sell or transfer it before February 2021.
- The property must be owned by the applicant as of July 1, 2020.
- If the property is in a trust, the applicant must be a trustee or have a life estate in the property in order to qualify for the program.
- Applicants are expected to continue in their roles after their 75 hours have been completed, if possible.
- Work assignments are not guaranteed year to year, if a participant leaves a role.
- Married couples may work together to complete 75 hours.
- Participants should plan to complete their 75 hours by February 28, 2021.
- W-4 and CORI (Criminal Offender Record Information) forms are part of the application. A copy of a picture ID is required for the CORI.
- Veterans who participate must be honorably or medically discharged and provide certification of their veteran status (DD214).
The Senior Property Tax Work-Off Program and the Veteran’s Property Tax Work-Off Program are administered by the Council on Aging in conjunction with the Town Manager, Assessor, Treasurer, and Accounting offices.
Additional Information and Applications
Applications will be available at the Senior Center beginning June 2, 2020. Applications can be picked up from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m Monday through Friday. Please see specific directions above re pick-up and drop-off of applications.
Please make sure you refer to the ’Property Tax Checklist’ document below to be sure that you have fully completed all of the information for the application before dropping it off.
For more information, please contact Dina Ahmed at 978-671-0916.